Wednesday, February 8, 2012

BIRD BY BIRD

I am super excited about this book, no offense intended, but this book is everything I thought this class was.. when I registered for it. I’m eager to read more it’s witty and informative at the same time.
Shitty first drafts!!!!!
YES! YES! YES!
This chapter has offered me some much needed relief. In the midst of writing my own novel and I am just over it. My thoughts are all over the place I feel like stopping, going back, making changes but I am now at peace.  On page 21 he summed me up effortlessly “people tend to look at successful writers…..and think they sit down at their desks….hat they take in a few deep breaths, push back their sleeves…and dive in, typing fully formed passages as fast as a court reporter” (Lamott, A).  I was so overwhelmed with not being able to pour out chapter after chapter that I got frustrated and wanted to give out. But peace came when I read that all good writers write shitty firsts drafts and its how they end up with good second drafts.  This has motivated me to continue writing and not fret over my “shitty first draft.”
Polaroid’s
I like this chapter it starts with “writing a first draft is very much like watching a Polaroid develop. You can’t—and in fact, you’re not supposed to –know exactly what the picture is going to look like until it has finished developing.  Going into my novel I had a clear pathway my characters were to take but within the first few pages the character created their own paths and I the story directed itself. I stopped trying to reign myself in. and even though the conclusion will ultimately be the same how my character gets there is shaping itself.
School lunches?
I found to be very random…plan to reread.

No comments:

Post a Comment